What's your skill? by Zevie
Zevie Mon, Feb 13, 2017 3:06 AM
This is an old Forum account which is not linked to Steam.
For how long were you creating maps on SDK?
________
For how long were you creating maps overall?
________
How long did it take you to get your current skill on Hammer? 
________
How many maps did you create when you decide to add your first map on the steam workshop?
________
How do you get motivation?
________

I'm just curious. 

From your idol, ZevVik. (not actually)
Manadono Wed, Feb 15, 2017 1:37 AM
I hope this was an open question :>

For how long were you creating maps on SDK?
Maybe a year?

For how long were you creating maps overall?
Maybe 9 years?

How long did it take you to get your current skill on Hammer?
About a week?

How many maps did you create when you decide to add your first map on the steam workshop?

How do you get motivation?
Hallucinations, other video games, cyberpunk films, dreams
MortySmithC137.5 Thu, Feb 16, 2017 9:05 AM
Well I dont see this being appropriate here. You should post it in other section not support in map making!
LabiteQ || 3kliksphilip.com Fri, Feb 17, 2017 8:02 AM
Administrator
Playtime: 2096 minutes
Moved to "various"
Insanity Mon, Jun 5, 2017 8:48 PM
Honor
Playtime: 299 minutes
For.. roughly 2 years now.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I made Minecraft and GTA SA:MP maps beforehand. That counts.. right?? ;D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~2 years. I'm learning all the time, thus becoming better as I learn. But I feel like I reached the level of 'acceptable' or 'not totally shit map creator' in like a year. By that time, I have learned most of the basics and fundementals that every level designer should know and do, should they take level designing in Source seriously.
I added my first map to the workshop. There were no 'tests' or levels I made beforehand (obviously, excluding the obvious 'box' map to see if it actually works or not). My first work was an AIM map, aim_courtyard. It stayed as it was for a year or so. With dev textures, no clipping or anything and horrendous brushwork. I remade it after a year from scratch. And then I realised that, since originally it took me ~a week or two to make, the remake took me just a couple of hours, so I knew I had improoved. And the remake had much better lighting, actual texturework, hand-made navigation meshes, better balance etc.. It was, overall, a significant improovement to the original. Almost like an entirely new map, it seemed. :D
Then, immediately after the ORIGINAL release of Courtyard, I started making my (currently) most successfull level, de_supply. Obviously, back then it was utter garbage and just a box of dev and sand textures. But, as I learned the basics, some modelling and other stuff, it turned out as it is now. Now, it is no masterpiece by any chance. Visually it still looks like a CS:S level, but gameplay vise, I think, it plays allright. Especially considerring it introduces map interactability and what not. I'm not much of an artist or a detailer, so I'm not certain if I will ever be good enough to actually finish it's visuals to finally put it to rest. But if anyone thinks they could help me out on that front, you are welcome to try and give me a hand in detailing it, because I sure as hell ain't going to be able to do it. (Btw, fun fact- I have (iirc) 46 or so different .vmf and .bsp files of my every map (one for every workshop version). Idk why I do it, but it's fun to type in in the concole "connect de_supplyv1,0" or w/e and see the bullcrap I made back then :D )
And, after Supply, I have made numberous of other levels, tests, gamemode attempts etc., but almost all of them either got scrapped or I completely lost motivation on them, so they're just sitting on my hard drive, collecting dust. In my eyes, none of my new-er projects are good enough to be published to the Workshop...
Originally, when I started doing this, my motivation was to just create stuff people might enjoy playing on, myself included. But lately, I've lost interest for the game as a whole, plus I'm a bit 'burned out' from level creation, so I'm taking a break for a little while. I'm certain I'll return to it eventually, and my motivation will still be the same, I hope. Also, if not for that reason, to atleast proove to myself that I CAN actually finish something in my life and do something, if not productive, that takes skill, patience and care to actually create.

-Insanity